Strictly AutoTags is a Wordpress plugin that is designed to do one thing and one thing only which is to add the most relevant and appropriate tags to your posts as well as discovering new tags on the way with as little effort as possible.
This plugin is ideal for people starting new blogs who haven't yet built up their own taxonomy lists as the Auto Discovery feature enables you to build up your tag lists automatically. As new posts get added your tag list will grow with your blog. It is also great for Automatic Blogging Systems or sites that require accurate tagging and great Search Engine Optimisation with as little human interaction as possible.
How it works
The plugin scans each new post as its added for suitable words that could be used as tags and then orders them so that only the most relevant words get added to the post.
As well as using existing tags to find new ones this plugin has an Auto Detect feature which when enabled will use some simple logic to detect new words to treat as tags. I have found that over 90% of all the tags I use in my numerous blogs fall into one of the following three categories: Acronyms e.g CIA, FBI, AIG, IT, SQL, ASP, names of people and places and countries. Therefore unlike other plugins Strictly AutoTag will scan new posts for words or sentences that match these three groups and then use them as potential tag candidates.
Version 2.0 has had some new features added including the ability to clean up under-used post tags at a click of a button and the ability to remove noise words that have already been added as post tags so that they don't get re-used in future auto taggings.
Version 2.0.4 has increased the plugins Search Engine Optimisation features by allowing you to wrap matching tags in <strong> tags as well as being able to rank potential tags that are found withing H1-H6, EM, B, STRONG and A tags higher than others.
Version 2.0.8 has added new the new SEO feature of Deep Linking Tags so that tags attached to the post can be linked to their relevant tag page on the site. You can control the number of words per tag that get deeplinked as well as limiting the deeplinking to tags with a minimum number of posts e.g only deeplink tags with 10 posts associated with them.
The benefit of deeplinking on saving a post and not outputting is that you speed up the display of a post as you only save a post one or a few times whilst it can be displayed thousands of times (with or without a caching plugin). There are also options to clean out the SEO options e.g remove deeplinking and bolding when you save a post so that every edit gets a new AutoTag scan.
The final free version is 2.8.5 which fixes some bugs and allows you to rank words within the title of the article or HTML tags like headers or anchors higher than other words.
However the latest "Special" version 2.8.6 is a more sophisticated plugin that is only available to people who donate £40 or more.
The features in 2.8.6 enable you to:
- Set a minimum length of characters for a tag to be used.
- Set the maximum number of words allowed in a tag.
- Set equivalent words for tags e.g search for Edward Snowden, NSA or PRISM and use the tag Internet Privacy.
- Convert textual links like www.strictly-software.com/plugins/strictly-auto-tags to real links e.g strictly-software.com.
- Bold and deeplink common used tags to create great SEO for Googlebot and BING to crawl.
- Set the minimum number of tags that must be stored against articles before they can be used in any deep linking.
- Set the maximum number of tags in an article to deeplink.
- Set the maximum number of tags to place against an article.
- Store certain attributes like href/title/alt/src and the new data- attributes to prevent nested tags.
- Create a list of "noise" words to ignore and never use as tags.
- finished_doing_tagging hook available for other plugins to use so actions only occur after tagging e.g Strictly Tweetbot uses this hook
- All content already inside special HTML tags <H1-6> <a> title, src, href, alt and new data-blah or data-blah-blah attributes and Wordpress shortcodes e.g [youtube url] are stored in memory to prevent bolding or deeplinking within other tags or attributes.
Remember to get the latest version 2.8.6 you must donate me £40 or more. I will then email you the source code. The latest free version can be found on the Wordpress plugin site.
Version 2.8.8 is the latest free version available and contains the hook finished_doing_tagging and the storage of shortcodes and data attributes.
If you want to check out a website that has been using the plugin for sometime then check out www.darkpolitricks.com and see the tags that are displayed for each article. If you like the plugin and make a donation then let me know and I will add a backlink from this site to yours.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Download the plugin
- Unzip the strictlyautotags.zip file
- Upload the directory strictlyautotags to the /wp-content/plugins directory on your WordPress blog
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- Configure the plugin in the admin section of Wordpress
Download Strictly Auto Tags
The plugin is hosted on the Wordpress Subversion repository and if you are looking for the most up to date version you should check there first to access the individual files in the trunk.
If you want the most up to date stable version all zipped up then you should use the Wordpress download link.
If for whatever reason the Wordpress server is unavailble then you can download a version from my own server here: Strictly AutoTags version 2.8.8
Your donations help keep my work freely available. Please consider a small donation of any amount to show your appreciation if you like this plugin.