Strictly AutoTags is a Wordpress plugin that is designed to do one thing and one thing only which is to add the most relevant and appropriate post tags to your articles well as discovering new tags on the way with as little effort as possible.
This plugin is ideal for people starting new blogs who haven't yet built up their own taxonomy lists as the Auto Discovery feature enables you to build up your tag lists automatically. As new posts get added your tag list will grow with your blog. It is also great for Automatic Blogging Systems or sites that require accurate tagging and great Search Engine Optimisation with as little human interaction as possible. It is also a brilliant plugin to use alongside the Strictly TweetBot plugin as you can automatically use the post tags the plugin generates as #HashTags in automated tweets to multiple Twitter accounts.
There are two versions of the plugin.
One is the free version which you can obtain from the WordPress plugin site and has less features, the other is a paid for version which you can pay for and buy here for just £40.00. The reason I have split this plugin up is that I have put a lot of work into this program and even with over 160,000 downloads (Feb 2014) I have hardly had any donations. This is despite the fact thousands of websites, companies and SEO sites use it and lots of sites talk about how good it is.
If everyone had donated me a single £ then I would not have to do this and in all honesty I don't like having to keep two versions of the code going. Therefore if people did start donating me a single pound per download I would be able to spend much more time developing the features for this plugin as a free program for everybody's use.
How it works
The plugin scans each new post as its added for suitable words that could be used as tags and then orders them so that only the most relevant words get added to the post. It has the ability to rank words contained in the title, headers and other HTML such as <strong> or <em> tags higher than other plain text.
As well as using existing tags to find new ones this plugin has an Auto Detect feature which when enabled will use some simple logic to detect new words to treat as tags. I have found that over 90% of all the tags I use in my numerous blogs fall into one of the following three categories: Acronyms e.g CIA, FBI, AIG, IT, SQL, ASP, names of people, companies, institutions, places and countries e.g John Smith, Barclays Bank, Federal Reserve or USA. Therefore unlike other plugins Strictly AutoTags will scan new posts for words and sentences that match these groups and then use them as potential tag candidates.
As well as just finding new tags and using existing tags to find relevant words to be used for post tags in an article the plugin comes with some great features such as the ability to deeplink a specified number of tags to their related tag page, highlight a number of the tags in <strong> tags and automatically convert plain text links into real clickable anchor tags.
The benefit of deeplinking on saving a post and not outputting it is that you speed up the display of a post as you only save a post one or a few times whilst it can be displayed thousands of times (with or without a caching plugin). There are also options to clean out the SEO options e.g remove deeplinking and bolding when you save a post so that every edit gets a new AutoTag scan and in the new paid for version a Clean Edit Mode which allows you to edit individual posts one at a time and remove any HTML the plugin may have added. There is also a bulk clean option but on sites with large numbers of articles this could take a while to run.
The latest free version is 2.9.2 which fixes some bugs and allows you to rank words within the title of the article or HTML tags like headers or anchors higher than other words, bulk clean your posts from any HTML the plugin adds and some changes to regular expressions and functions. You can obtain this plugin from the Wordpress Subversion repository but I would urge you to consider donating so that I can in future offer you the better version for a small donation.
However the latest "Paid For version 2.9.5" is a much more sophisticated plugin that is only available to people who pay £40.
New features in the paid for version 2.9.5 enable you to do the following
- The ability to remove basic formatting from the post. Ideal for auto-bloggers who import from feeds containing <B>, <I>, <FONT>, <SPAN> tags that could cause formatting issues on your site.
- Better regular expressions, more checks and the ability to bulk re-tag and link with all key attributes (alt,title,src,href,data-blah) including shortcodes [youtube url] saved before re-formatting to keep the original HTML in tact.
- New functions to find tricky words like al-Nusra Front, World War II or 1,000 Guineas.
- Bulk update to remove all HTML the plugin adds.
- Option to turn the plugin into Clean Edit Mode so you can edit individual articles to remove any HTML you don't like.
- New functions to turn text like http://www.strictly-software.com and www.strictly-software.com into clickable links e.g strictly-software.com.
- Set a minimum length of characters for a tag to be used.
- Set the maximum number of words allowed in a tag.
- Set equivalent words for tags e.g search for Edward Snowden, NSA or PRISM and use the tag Internet Privacy.
- Bold and deeplink common used tags to create great SEO for Googlebot and BING to crawl.
- Set the minimum number of tags that must be stored against articles before they can be used in any deep linking.
- Set the maximum number of tags in an article to deeplink.
- Set the maximum number of tags to place against an article.
- Create a list of case sensitive and case insensitive "noise" words to ignore and never use as tags.
- Use the new finished_doing_tagging hook which is available for other plugin authors to use so that actions only occur after tagging is done on a post. For example my other plugin Strictly Tweetbot uses this hook so that tags are available to be used as #hashtags in tweets.
- All content already inside special HTML tags <H1-6> <a> title, src, href, alt and new data-blah or data-blah-blah attributes and Wordpress shortcodes e.g [youtube url] are stored in memory to prevent bolding or deeplinking within other tags or attributes.
- All shortcodes are removed before auto discovery so that attributes or words inside them are not accidentally matched as potential tag candidates.
- Important closing HTML tags such as </H[1-6]>, </P>, </DIV> or <HR /> are replaced with a period so that words at the end of one closing tag is not joined with the starting word of another tag.
- The ability to add rel="nofollow" to any links that are made clickable e.g www.strictly-software.com.
- Add rel="nofollow" to any existing outbound links on the page which may have come from imported feed content.
- A new list of "Top Tags" which if found in the article will be ranked much higher than any other tags. This allows you to ensure your sites main keywords are tagged, bolded and deeplinked, even if they are only found in the content a couple of times.
- The option to remove all numerical characters before auto discovery so that if you don't want complex words like 1,000 Guineas or 2,000,000 Million Pounds matched you can ignore the numbers.
Latest free version 2.9.4
Version 2.9.4 is the latest free version available and contains the hook finished_doing_tagging and the storage of shortcodes and data attributes as well as some cleaner regular expressions and the option to bulk clean your posts.
If you want to check out a website that has been using the plugin for sometime then check out my horse racing news site www.ukhorseracingtipster.com and see the tags that are displayed for each article.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Download or purchase the plugin.
- Unzip the strictlyautotags.zip file.
- Upload the directory strictlyautotags to the /wp-content/plugins directory on your WordPress blog.
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
- Read all the possible settings at the top and then each note under all the options.
- Configure the plugin to your liking in the admin section of Wordpress.
Buy The Best Version - Strictly AutoTags 2.9.5
You can buy this plugin direct from my site by filling in the order page.
If after paying you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.
Download Strictly Auto Tags 2.9.4 (free version)
The plugin is hosted on the Wordpress Subversion repository and if you are looking for the most up to date version you should check there first to access the individual files in the trunk.
If you want the most up to date stable version all zipped up then you should use the Wordpress download link.
If for whatever reason the Wordpress server is unavailble then you can download a version from my own server here: Strictly AutoTags version 2.9.4
Your donations help keep my work freely available. Please consider a small donation of any amount to show your appreciation if you like this plugin. The more people who could donate a single £1 per download would help me keep just one version of this plugin running instead of two.